Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Our Turn on Earth

“As soon as our parents die,

we start to die,”

I thought as I walked home from church

behind a couple who used to live in our ward.

Even though they just live up and around

the corner, with the realignment,

we ended up in different wards.

I haven’t seen them for two or three years.

He walked unsteadily and looked like an old man.

He seemed young and vibrant when his parents,

who also lived in our ward, died

not that many years ago.

Did I start to die when my parents died?

Even at ten when my father died,

I died a little. We all did.

I was forty when Mama died;

and again we all died some.

It’s our turn. We are the oldest generation.

When our parents die,

it seems inevitable that we start to die.

*
"Every day I accept the incredible gift
of being here."

3 comments:

desplingca said...

Eventually we all will have lived in three spheres. We belong to one and three more than two based on time spent. I agree that both birth and death on earth is likely step processes. For example, for most the second birth of water and the spirit usually comes eight years after the first. We are born in many other ways too, like to good music, nature, and gratitude. Likewise, we do die in steps too, even at the same time we are born in others.

desplingca said...

IS should be ARE in my comment.

JJ said...

I thought we could edit our comments but I can't figure out how to do it now. NO ONE would notice but you. Good points. I've saving them!