Monday, April 25, 2016

The Stranger

Just as I was clutching the door to go
in the Women’s Dressing Room at the gym,
this big burly fellow says, “Excuse me, Miss.”
Miss? He didn’t even say Ma’am or Old Lady.
Panic momentarily seized me.
Am I going in the wrong dressing room?
Does he want permission to come in here too?
Did I drop something?
“Do you mind if I say something personal?”
“No.”
“Your hair is so pretty.
It’s just beautiful – wavy.”
Knock me over with a feather.
I had thick hair as a child
But somewhere along the way it got very fine and thin.
I don’t even know when.
“Thank you very much,” I smile appreciatively
as the door to the Women’s Dressing Room closes.
Sometimes strangers say the most startling things.

The Stranger Part II
   When Amy came home, I was telling her this story. "Is it the same guy who told me my hair was pretty when I had it pulled back and braided to go swimming? He said 'Miss' 'Miss' and then told me how nice my hair looks." It had to be the same guy. Does he wish he had gone to beauty school? Does the gym hire him to lift women's spirits? Doesn't he have anything else to do? Is he really trying to be friendly and nice or is he sick? Weird. And now my story is done. Except that I just remembered that I rummaged in the coat closet to find my water shoes before I left and messed my hair. Thinking I was just going to jump into the pool, I didn’t bother to fix it so I’m sure it looked pretty bad.
Part III
   Monday (May 2) at the gym, I watched this burly guy follow a blond woman carrying a child down the hall. I couldn't hear what he said to her, but she was facing me and I heard her say, "You are so nice. Thank you very much."
   Maybe he said something nice about the child, I don't know. Her hair was pulled back tight in a ponytail but maybe he thought it was pretty.

4 comments:

desplingca said...

No one ever compliments me on my hair!

Melissa said...

I bet that made your day! Little unexpected things can make a big difference, can't they?

Melissa said...

I'm still choosing sweet over creepy....

JJ said...

Me too. I spent 2 extra seconds on my hair today in case I saw him again.