Thursday, August 23, 2018

Nature's Fury

When you're over 80,
you'd think you've seen everything,
heard everything,
felt everything.
Imagine my surprise
when I wittnessed
HAIL rivaling a ping pong ball,
pelting the earth yesterday.
It was terror.
It was awe.
Who saw the storm warnings?
Amy heard it on the radio as she was driving home.
Too late.
Plus it was erroneously for Salt Lake City.
It hit three times.
Each time, the sun came out in between
and all was calm and clear like
"Who me?"









Hal, our Ministerer (x-home teacher),
took this picture expertly showing the size of the hail
in our neighborhood.
The following pictures are from KSL

 
  
 A backyard in Layton
 A backyard in Kaysville
  
The hail reminded me of a class party
we had down in the Barracks when I was in 8th grade.
We rode down in the back of a truck
and sang our usual silly songs.
Hail, Hail the gang's all here.
What the hail do we care?
What the hail do we care?
Hail, Hail the gang's all here
What the hail do we care now?
The next day, our adviser,
fresh out of BYU,
gave us a stern lecture on swearing
and using bad language at a school function.
We didn't even know "hail" was a swear word,
I swear.
Flooding in Bountiful

After the storm was over,
I picked up two 5-gallon buckets full of peaches
off the ground, ripe and unripe.
By nightfall, the buckets were nearly full.
Utah Department of Environmental Quality:
A lot of people are wondering
where the smoke came from.
The front that moved through
 and brought us all that rain yesterday
also brought smoke from California and Oregon.
As the smoke plume has settled,
we have seen PM2.5 concentration rise.
If you have a heart or lung condition,
take it easy this afternoon.
So I did,
(even though I don't have a heart or lung condition).




Where are the mountains? 



No mountains looking north either? 
Looking west.
Bonus
Llamas, sheep, and smoke 



I promise there are mountains in the background. 

Sunset with smoke



Amy and I don't give up.
We stay out on our bike and trike
taking pictures until the sun sinks.

2 comments:

Jan H said...

WOW! Crazy! That's big hail. You should have your insurance come and check the roof for hail damage.

JJ said...

Insurance agents can't be trusted. They can stand out on your roof that is wrecked and proclaim: "Looks fine to me." Some cars did have hail damage - even broken windshields. It was wild!