what was told to me
by Amy, Brent, Jan, and Amanda Hugh
Jeanette Hugh: I can see no place for the people in the canoes.
Amy Hugh: People are optional. They just float along the sides or flop anywhere along the top. I wish we would have gotten a t-cat when we took you--so much easier.
Jeanette Hugh: Maybe when I'm 100, I'll go again and we can use the t-cat.
Amy Hugh: When you're 100, we'll all be dead from air pollution and the Green River drained and sold to oil and gas following Trump's America. The Doll's Head may still be around however, there is that. . .
Doll's head from Doll's Head Island
Big Horn Mesa
Canyonlands
Riding the Jet Boat back.
The Duel was a great favorite of ours
when the children were growing up.
I still recite it silently now and again -
especially "The truth about the cat and pup
is this: The ate each other up!
is this: The ate each other up!
(The Old Dutch Clock it told me so,
And that is how I came to know.)"
The Duel
Eugene Field
The
gingham dog and the calico cat
Side
by side on the table sat;
‘T
was half-past twelve, and (what do you think!)
Nor
one nor t’ other had slept a wink!
The
old Dutch clock and the Chinese plate
Appeared to know as sure as fate
There
was going to be a terrible spat.
(I was n’t there; I simply state
What was told to me by the Chinese
plate!)
The
gingham dog went “Bow-wow-wow!”
And
the calico cat replied “Mee-ow!”
The
air was littered, an hour or so,
With
bits of gingham and calico,
While the old Dutch clock in the
chimney-place
Up with its hands before its face,
For
it always dreaded a family row!
(Now mind: I’m only telling you
What the old Dutch clock declares
is true!)
The
Chinese plate looked very blue,
And
wailed, “Oh, dear! what shall we do!”
But
the gingham dog and the calico cat
Wallowed
this way and tumbled that,
Employing every tooth and claw
In the awfullest way you ever saw—
And,
oh! how the gingham and calico flew!
(Don’t fancy I exaggerate—
I got my news from the Chinese
plate!)
Next
morning, where the two had sat
They
found no trace of dog or cat;
And
some folks think unto this day
That
burglars stole that pair away!
But the truth about the cat and pup
Is this: they ate each other up!
Now
what do you really think of that!
(The old Dutch clock it told me so,
And that is how I came to know.)





























1 comment:
That was a fun trip and very relaxing. The t-cat made it very easy to get in and out of the canoes.
Post a Comment