![]() |
| Best Friends in high school. "The Orderville Twins" |
![]() |
| Moccasin scenes. |
| Eddy and DeRay catching a ride to the Old School Museum and Big House. I jumped on too. |
![]() |
| Oh, yes, free watermelon all day long all three days. (Amy Lyn would NOT be impressed.) |
Each of the 11 children's families paid $100 to have this water tank restored for the reunion at a total cost of $1,100. A source of fresh water, a place to swim and a baptismal font. DeLoy writes: "I've
decided that the most important monument done for the Reunion was the
Moccasin water tank. It's what I remember best from visits to Moccasin
as we grew up."
|
| Grandpa Heaton was injured while grading a road by Alton on this grader and died several days later in Cedar City. |
![]() |
| Mama and Jennie swam in this reservoir many times.
When we visited with Jennie at her home in Moccasin in 1993, she told us:
Your mother was born first;
She could run faster;
She could swim further;
She could stay under water longer;
She could dive deeper;
She was married first;
She had one more child;
And one more husband.
Jennie didn't mention this, but Mama also died first. Mama died at age 73. Jennie was in her 90th year in 1993. Jennie was Mama's niece and best friend.
|
| Bill Schmutz, He and his family own the Big House now. He restored all the rock work on the outside. |
![]() |
| The Big House where Mama was born and grew up. |
| Jeanette, Verla, and Carol in room where Mama was born. |
| Other side of room. |
COUSINS
| Olive. She did all the name tags. She got her foot caught in the binder as a child. |
| Dennis Mosdell who engineered the monument. He and his wife Larana curated the museum. He is a mortician by trade. |
| Anna Laura
Verda told us that when Georgia Lou died, the Schmutz family forced Anna Laura to sign over her share of the house to them.
One of the first people we ran into at Moccasin was Anna Laura. "We heard that you don't own the house anymore. How do you feel about that?"
"I can't talk about it."
"We are sorry. I'll bet it's hard to come to Moccasin."
"This is the first time I've been back. I don't know if I'm going to make it."
When her sister, Georgia Lou, died, she was in a wheelchair because she was in the middle of chemo treatments for breast cancer. Now she looks strong; her hair is coming back.
"Daddy would want me to forgive and forget."
"Good for you. You will make your daddy proud."
We asked her to write a note to Shirley and took her picture.
Valiant cousin.
|
| Carolyn Heaton Grygla, who with her committee, masterminded this amazing and comprehensive reunion. |
| Darol Heaton, husband of Georgia. Great grandson. |
| Peggy Esplin, wife of Mack. We made a book for Shirley and asked cousins to write a get-well note to her. |
| Israel Mack Esplin. He was hoping to see Lynn and DeLoy. Since "we" can't talk politics with our Southern Utah Cousins, we decided to talk about horses. "How long as it been since you were on a horse?" "I can't remember. How long has it been since you were on a horse?" I countered. "Two days," Mack answers. He's 81-years-old. He spends a lot of time out with the cattle. |
| A bed made of local logs auctioned off for around $800. They also auctioned off a quilt with the 11 children's photos, the painting of Moccasin hills, and the star quilt above. |
| Nora Heaton, mother of Carolyn Grygla. I believe she was the oldest person there at age 92. Her husband died when he was 36 years old. |
| Horse drawn wagon rides. |
| Landell and Berniece Landell lived with us one year when he went to school in Orderville. His sister, Lucy, was my age.
Because
Daddy and Mama were both the youngest in their large polygamist families, most
of our first cousins were much older than we were. I had one girl cousin close to my age – Lucy
Heaton from Moccasin, Uncle Chris’ daughter. She would come to Orderville to stay with me and I would go out to Moccasin and stay with her.
Since
Georgia Troy and I were best friends and neither went anywhere without the
other, Georgia would go to Moccasin with me. When Lucy rebelled against her
righteous parents wishes and decided to get married at age 16, Georgia and I
went out to Moccasin to the wedding. That’s the last time I saw Lucy. She
moved off to California and I heard she had a rather sad life. She died young.
As we
left the petting coral and road grader that Grandpa Heaton was on when he
sustained internal injuries that cost him his life, we stopped to ask this
young family who they belonged to. “I’m Lucy’s granddaughter,” she said. She
says she lives in Cedar City now but because her husband is in the service, she
has lived all over. “I have a baby buried in Moccasin,” she told us, “between
these two kids” and she pointed two of her smaller children. And then she told
us the story.
She said
she knew the baby wouldn’t be long with them because when she was nursing her
smallest child she saw a child in the doorway. “Can I come and live with you?”
“Well, yes, but where’s the family you are supposed to live with?” “I want to
live with you but I can’t stay long.”
While she
was pregnant, she planned the funeral – not the services, but she knew she
wanted Mosdell’s Mortuary to take care of the baby and she wanted to bury her
in Moccasin. Even so, she didn’t know it
would be so hard to let her go.
At six
months, she died of infant death syndrome.
A perfect child.
She says
she doesn’t tell that story to many people.
|
| Johnny Esplin and Shirley Brinkerhoff |
| Diane Esplin, Johnny and wife.
I used to go to Hurricane and stay with Diane. She came to Orderville to stay with me. It was the 4th of July and my cousin, LaRue Bolander, and I had matching dresses. Mama had Shirley make one for Diane too. I was jealous. I thought she was interfering with our traditions.
LaRue in the very dress.
DeLoy wrote: I remember when Diane came to Orderville once as an early teen-ager. Mack and I thought she was cute. She sang I know that My Redeemer Liveth in a youth fireside.
|
| Paul was my classmate one year when he came to Orderville to live with his sister, Beth. |
| Don Palmer is holding the framed picture of our Grandparents they presented to each grandchild who was present.
I told him about Shirley and asked him to at least sign his name. The bus was waiting to take them to the movie.
He wrote: "Thanks for the comb." He said Shirley gave him the first birthday present he ever a had - a comb. He said I was the first girl to get lipstick on his shirt.
|
| Gene Heaton, son of Aunt Myrtle and Uncle Sterling, and his son Brad. Gene said his older sister, Ione, was physically well but mentally struggling. No more Maggie Moon insults, Shirley! |
| Jim Crook, grandson of Aunt Zidie. |
| Jeanette, Verla, Carol in front of home in Orderville where we grew up. Grandpa Esplin built it in 1901. |
| Our double-first-cousin VeRene and her two daughters Teresa and Patti VeRene gave the opening prayer at the Monument Dedicatory Ceremony in Moccasin. Beautiful. VeRene says sitting up straight is her mantra - for which she wants to be remembered. She said when her older siblings, Larry and Nan, started to stoop, she was more determined to stand up straight. She is the Aunt Jane of our generation. |
| Verla, Jeanette, Ed, Carol with VeRene at Nan's in Orderville. July 24.
In Orderville, they did the Cemetery Walk where our parents, grandparents, and all of our great grandparents except one are buried. I was going to boycott the reunion because they were holding it in Moccasin, Alton, and Kanab but when they included the Cemetery Walk, I conceded. Orderville is virtually the birthplace of our tribe.
![]() |
| Don't you love Alton? |
![]() |
| Royce Young's family now own the Jonathan Heaton home in Alton.
Jonathan and Amy's son Ira built this home before Alton was a town. It was called Oak Flat - and was the only home when Jonathan and his sons decided to build a town around it and call it Alton. Ira traded his parents this home in town for the Wild Rose Ranch so his younger brothers and sisters could go to school. Many of the ranchers that lived far apart in this area moved into Alton so their children could go to school and Church.
|
![]() |
| Wagon ride to Wild Rose house. |
![]() |
| Remains Wild Rose House. |
![]() |
| In Alton, they made sour dough biscuits, cheese and butter. |
| Kanab Day. |
![]() |
| A grandson holding his photo. Verla's old flame, Karl Heaton and his son Ken made the frames from wood from the Wild Rose house. Twenty-two grandchildren came to the reunion. Verla is only 68 so they were not all in their 80's and 90's. As a matter of record, Jerry, Carol, Verla and I are all under 80 in our family alone. Our double-first-cousin Johnny Esplin, Aunt Lucy's youngest, is also under 80. I think there were around 1,500 attendees in all. Being a grandchild was special indeed. Grandpa Heaton had 150 grandchildren. We have seven, but who's counting? Great Aunt Amy Hoyt Heaton on left, sister to Daddy's mother; Grandpa and Grandma Heaton center and right. Each frame is different. This is mine. Our travel agent and chauffeur. THANK YOU, DeRay. |



































2 comments:
hj, I enjoyed being at the reunion with you via your blog. Thanks. ld
I'm still working on it. Stubborn computer. Tune in again. Maybe I'll get it right. Now I'm sick of it.
Post a Comment