Saturday, August 22, 2015

Grace


  
A sampler with this quote was hanging in our home
all the time we were growing up.
We believed it; we lived by it.
As we moved into our own homes,
Mama made a sampler for each of us.
It's a bond as we visit each other's homes
and see the same creed in each.
Mama embroidered most of them but
I did my own since I was in the hospital
waiting for Eddy to get unjaunticed and
strong enough to come home with me.
I have even more tender feelings for mine
because of the precious time with him.


  Yes! Especially 12-year-old twins.
   The ceiling in the family room seems to take
"the leak in the roof" literally.
Amanda discovered water on the floor
after a swift and violent cloud burst.
Jan discovered the source and wiped up.


Like the ceiling, our family sometimes
takes the "You don't have to thank us" literally.
YOU DON’T HAVE TO THANK US
For vegetables from the garden
Or bargains from the store;
For providing a summer sanctuary;
Or tending kids;
Or for gifts;
Or washing towels and sheets
And making up beds;
And doing the cooking and cleaning.

Makes me a little sad.
Maybe more for them than us.
A phone call, an email, text, or
Even a note for birthday money.
Gratitude is grace.
And grace is love.
I guess that’s what I yearn for most of all.

1 comment:

desplingca said...

We have ours right by the dining room table. So far, no leaks in the roof.