Awhile ago at a family reunion,
we came in almost last for the viewing of a movie
some talented brothers had produced.
some talented brothers had produced.
Some worried where DeRay would sit
but no one cared whether Eddy or I stood or sat on the floor.
I scrounged up two folding chairs.
I put my chair directly behind a plush armchair
where a tall bishop, one of the hosts, was sitting.
where a tall bishop, one of the hosts, was sitting.
My back was killing me so sometimes I stood against the wall
and sometimes I sat on the uncomfortable folding chair.
A few weeks later, my sister and I were at a symposium
The room was packed. We were standing against the wall,
planning to sit on the floor when they decided
if that many people could be in the
room.
Unexpectedly, a young man came up and asked,
“Would one of you sisters like my chair?”
He had every right to be there.
He was there first.
“You take it. You’re the oldest,” Verla said.
I did.
Gratefully.
Which of these “gentlemen” do I esteem most?
No comments:
Post a Comment