Saturday, October 10, 2015

Are Men from Mars and Women from Venus?

On a Saturday
When my daughter, my sisters, my cousin and I
Go to lunch and a production at Pioneer Memorial Theater
To celebrate my birthday,
DeRay sits on the couch watching inane TV shows
all afternoon and evening.
He boasts he is going to make me a birthday cake
But he doesn’t.
On the next Saturday
When DeRay* and Ed go to the Clark Planetarium
For a few shows, (so Ed won’t have a boring weekend,)
I wash and hang a batch of clothes;
  Pick the basil and tomatoes;
  Wash, cook, and freeze the beets**;
  Package the frozen peppers,
  Rearrange the freezers,
  Load and start the dishwasher;
  Wipe off the counters
  Vacuum and mop the kitchen, hall, and bathroom floors.

Perhaps men and women are from different planets.

*In his defense, he did dig the beets before he left and went grocery shopping before he came home.

**Since the pressure cooker blew up 20 years ago,
Scalding my face, legs and chest,
I’m leery of beets even though I cooked them
In a regular pot on top of the stove.
Just the smell makes me fearful.
BTW, I froze 9 quarts – a far cry from
The 200 pints Uncle Ed and I bottled from
Mama’s garden when she was recovering
From her first brain surgery.
I remember how acutely I missed having her in the kitchen,
even thought it wasn't the house in which I was reared,
And I had been married and gone from home
For over a dozen years.
. . . Memories. Memories . . .

No comments: