Reading and writing about Carol Masheter being the oldest woman in the world to climb the
highest peak on all seven continents got us wondering how old I was when I climbed up to the Radar Towers on Francis Peak. It took us awhile but we discovered I was 65 when I climbed up the last time.
"This
is a once in a life-time experience," Brent jollied as we trudged to the
top. Ever since they have been here, he
has wanted to hike up to Francis Peak, which we can see from our east
windows. I volunteered to tend the baby
and I thought it was all settled until it got down to the last week and Jan
conveniently caught a cold. I don't mind
hikes if they are on the level and do not last more than one hour. That's my limit. "You've hiked the worst part,"
Brent assured me, "and it only takes three hours." "Three hours? I thought it was all day." That's what I remembered from the other kids
journeying up there. "No, I'm sure
it's about three hours."
What he
didn't bother to tell me is that it's all the worst part. It is steep from the bottom of Baer Canyon to
the top. What do you expect when you're
gaining a mile's elevation--from 3400 to over 9000 feet? Distance wise it's seven miles.
What he
remembered as we passed their old campsite was that he was counting from the
campsite that was half way up the mountain.
Sure. Still, it was 4-1/2 hours
from the campsite; somewhat more than three hours total for someone who can count--a
mathematician, for crying out loud. The total trip up took us
6 hours. Get it? Five plus six is 11 PM. Darkness.
Cougars. Glaciers. Danger.
Crossing
the raging stream three times was our first challenge. I'm not good at logs but with Brent's firm
hand, I made the first crossing. The
second crossing I stood in the middle while Brent rolled a huge rock into the
stream to give me one more step because I couldn't make myself take one giant
step forward. Then he fell in himself at
the next crossing. He wouldn't have been
so upset but he wasn't even crossing, he was just walking along the side trying
to find a place to cross when he slipped on a rock and went in. "Well, I'm already wet," he fumed
good-naturedly as he sloshed across. I
couldn't have made it without slipping if he hadn't caught me as I leaped to a
wet rock. The only time we stopped, was
to wring out his socks and eat half a peanut butter sandwich, made with DeRay's
delicious just-out-of-the-oven homemade bread.
"We're
higher than the airplanes," Brent muses.
"We're
higher than the air," I wheeze.
"I
can't believe we timed it to catch the sunset," Brent undauntedly
marvels.
Excuse
me, but I can watch sunsets without this much effort. I'm too tired to talk. I'm lightheaded. I would rather be tending Jonathan. Ten times rather.
Brent
munches on sandwiches. I feel like I'm
going to throw up. "Drink lots of
water," he advises. I know I'm
going to throw up. I didn't. It was all a frame of tired mind.
At 8:30,
Brent says he doesn't think we'll keep Dad waiting too long. He had planned to meet us at 9 on the
top. Then we started on the switch backs
that went on and on and on. I felt like
we were going up on one lengthy switch and down on the next but Brent assured
me we were ascending steadily. Whatever;
it sure took us a long time to get to the road.
This trail was first constructed as a cattle run to move the cattle from
Morgan and the ranches on the east side of the mountain to Salt Lake City for
transport or slaughter.
It was
10:10 PM when we reached the road. As we
tramped down the road, thinking we had it made, we came across a jeep in the
middle of the road. "If a jeep can
get to here, we can get back," Brent projected. We didn't realize until we reached the deep
snowdrifts that the jeep had been stranded there all winter. We naively thought DeRay had sent someone for
us. Nope. Just an abandoned jeep. We trudged onward toward the towers. I'm glad I didn't know we would be hiking
clear to the towers in the beginning or I may have been too fainthearted to
try. They looked perilously high.
"Wow,
look at the Great Salt Lake; is that Wendover?
It's too far away for Grantsville and Tooele. Man, look at the Salt Lake Valley? It's huge.
It makes Kaysville look paltry." Because we could distinguish the
lights around the Davis Area Vocational Center, we could tell exactly where our
house sets.
![]() |
| The church - our house is right behind it. |
We could even see the glow
of the lights from Logan. Where the
Radar Towers set, you have to walk from one side to the other for the exalted views,
but as we hiked across the saddle we could see the valleys on both sides of the
mountain at the same time. "That's
Morgan down there!!!" Brent was in
awe.
"I
don't care about Morgan," I snarl.
All I wanted to do was get in a nice warm car and get home and take a
nice warm shower.
The
first snowpack we encountered was on the level and we gingerly walked across
it, but the next one was treacherous.
Steep. Impassable. We were directly below the towers but
trapped. Would we have to hike all the
way down? Sleep in our flimsy plastic
ponchos so close to sanctuary? Having no
choice, we back-tracked a little bit then scrambled up this steep embankment on
all fours, finally reaching a place where we could walk on a slice of the road
that was not covered with snowdrifts.
There at the top of the steep incline was DeRay. Nobody has ever looked so good - ever! He was like a savior standing up there
beckoning us on with his calm voice.
I felt
like crying. I didn't know if it was
joy, relief, fatigue or a combination of all three.
We
hugged when we stepped foot on flat ground at the Radar Towers on top of
Francis Peak. It was 11 PM exactly. Jan called from home just as we reached the
top to join in the celebration.
It was
midnight before we got home as it is a 45 minute drive in the car. DeRay himself spent 4-1/2 hours on our little
junket, having left home at 7:30 PM.
I was
wondering if I'd make the Guinness World Book of Records for being the oldest
woman to hike up to Francis Peak after 5 PM on a Sunday evening? "With 20 minutes notice," I might add. Hiking to Francis Peak on Sunday is sort of
like the Bishop who got a hole-in-one on Sunday but couldn't tell anyone. But if it's in the Guinness World Book of
Records, you'll know anyway so I might as well admit it. I hoped my scratched and bleeding legs would
convince everyone of my dangerous and strenuous mission, but when I showered,
the evidence mainly washed away. We
weren't even stiff or sore to speak of the next day. I remember when I hiked to the top of Timpanogos
when I was 24 years old, I couldn't move for three days.
We took
pictures all the way up, showing us closer and closer to the towers; and
catching the vast array of wild flowers, lush terrain and the diminishing
valley below. When we finally got to the
plaque on top giving the history of Francis Peak, we were totally out of
film. Too bad. So sad.
When we got home, we found we had a new roll of film in the camera case
all along. Dang blast it! Shall we start over???
"Brent
has lost his credibility with me," I growl to Jan as I stagger into the
house, truly exhilarated from having accomplished such an arduous hike after 5 PM on
a Sunday evening at such an ancient age.
I have a
totally different concept of the lighted radar towers when I look out of our
sliding glass doors in our kitchen by day and our bathroom window by
night. I know those snowbanks
intimately. I got up five times to look
last night and marvel, "Were we really there? What a hike!
Wow!" YES! 6.22.97
The next
morning Eddy and I got up and went to the gym and Brent went to his Masters
Music classes in Salt Lake as if we hadn't done a thing of note the night
before.
Exactly
one month to the day after my once-in-a-lifetime hike up to Francis Peak with
Brent, Amy exhorted me to make the hike with her. Instead of getting up three or four times
during the night after our hike and staring at the lighted radar towers and
thinking, "Wow. I can't believe we
hiked up there," I got up several times during the night before our hike,
thinking, "Are we really going to hike up there? Again?"
I knew what to worry about and had plenty of time to worry. Nevertheless, I couldn't resist going with
Amy when she asked me the night before at about 10 PM. She usually only gets one day off a week but
she forfeited her day off last week so she could spend two days home this
week. It was her only chance. But why?
Why couldn't Amy and Brent have gone together? Amy at first said we would leave at 6 but when
we got to bed so late, she decided that was a little ambitious. We settled on 7. We started on the trail at 7:10.
It was
like hiking with a botanist. She was
naming every flower, tree and shrub that we passed. "Yarrow." "Mint." "Red Mountain Mahogany." "Oregon Grape." I was quite
impressed. She told me how to identify
the trees; why there are trees on the north-facing slope and none on the
south-facing slope; which ones fungi grow on; how you can identify the trees by
the cone. She showed me the little brown
balls on the branches and leaves of scrub oak.
Inside are aphid eggs. How you
can tell Chokecherries from other berries.
"Wild strawberry,-raspberries,-carrots,-peas." "Primroses." "Thistle." "Sage." "Manzanita." I can only remember the common names of the
ones I had already heard before since she wouldn't repeat them for me when we
got home, which I thought was rather rude.
How could she expect me to remember scientific Latin names? Next time I'll carry a pencil and paper so I
won't flunk the test!
She went
right from being a Botanist into riddles.
Are you ready? You can ask
"yes" and "no" questions.
This fellow walked into a restaurant, ordered a salad and an albatross
sandwich. He took one bite; got a big
smile on his face; paid the bill and walked out. Why did he smile?
The
person who sells it doesn't want it; the person who buys it doesn't use it; and
the person who uses it doesn't know it.
What is it?
OK, Dick
and Susan are found lying dead side by side on the floor in the house. There is a cup of water beside them. I also might mention that there is broken
glass. What happened to Dick and Susan?
By now
we have crossed the stream three times, have had breakfast on a big rock beside
the stream; it is still mercifully overcast; a perfect day for a hike.
The sun
didn't come out until 10 AM. We found a
shady secluded spot for lunch. After the
first 45 minutes we didn't see another living soul on the trail. Evidently this isn't too popular of a
Mother-Daughter activity. By the time we
got to the switchbacks two hours later, it was cloudy again and just before we
hit the jeep road it began to rain lightly.
Ah, raindrops falling on my sweat, blood and dirt! Refreshing.
I later asked DeRay why my legs got so scratched up, cut and wounded
while Amy's didn't. "It's because
you got fat legs," he says seriously.
"And the bushes scratch and hurt fat legs and not skinny ones,
right?" "There's more for them
to grab." Sure. Amy said it was because she pulled her shorts
down and her socks up to protect her legs.
I thought her answer was a bit more diplomatic.
I formed
a different perception of the hike this time.
Last time I thought the whole thing was hard, every bit was the
worst. Leaving here at 4500 feet and
climbing to 9515 feet in seven miles is no easy feat. But this time, being experienced and having
the benefit of knowing I can make it, I didn't think all of it was the worst;
but about three places were much, much more difficult than I remembered
them. The most noticeable was the steep
incline to the peak the towers set on.
Last time we were so glad to see DeRay, I think we forgot we were
hiking, plus it was pitch black so we didn't have the visual cognition. This time, DeRay also wiser, wasn't there yet
and it took us 10 minutes of struggle to go those last 800 feet nearly straight
up. We hit the road at 12:45 PM; and
arrived at the towers at 1:15 PM.
Because we didn't have to fight glaciers, we were faster once we hit the
road but we stopped to eat twice so all in all, it took about the same amount
of time. Amy asked if Brent and I went
faster than we were going. "Amy,
I'm going as fast as I can; how could we have gone any faster?"
My clothes were soaking wet from
perspiration, my heart beating wildly, I was puffing like mad and Amy was
strolling along as cool as a cucumber; not even breathing hard. (However, when we got home, she plopped in
bed for five hours before she even had a shower. I showered and relaxed for a little while
AFTER I fixed Eddy lunch, did up the day's dishes, prepared dinner and put
things away.)
A ranger
followed DeRay and Eddy up. He said no
one mans it anymore; he comes by during the summer months as a security
measure. Everything is
computerized. There are signs warning
you that if you fool around or touch anything you put lives in jeopardy as it
is the air traffic control towers. They
should at least have an accessible telephone and bathrooms, I should think!
Eddy
didn't want to leave. "We just got
here." We found the location of our
house. We studied Morgan and Salt Lake
and Kaysville and Hill Field and Kennecott.
We took pictures from every side and of the plaque. The battery was dead so we couldn't take
pictures until DeRay brought us a new one.
Then when we got home I dropped the camera while getting in the trunk;
it broke open and ruined all the pictures and ruined the $200 camera. "Good," Amy said. She always hated that camera. She hates me to take pictures. She hates the zusssss sound it makes.
The
radar towers on Francis Peak don't look so formidable when I look out my
kitchen window anymore. It's old
hat. I've done it twice. The first time I thought it was a fluke I made
it; now I know I can. 7.22.97
(Did I have to wear the exact same clothes both trips and guess what? Eighteen years later, I'm still wearing them! The shorts are my Clorox clothes that I wear when I clean the kitchen; the shirt my camping shirt.)
October
28, 2001 – three weeks after I turned 65.
We (Amy,
K’Leena and I) hiked up to Francis Peak yesterday. We had planned to call Brent and Jan from the
top to make them jealous but it was too cold.
We were above the snow line. I
don’t know what went wrong but I completely enjoyed the hike this time. The weather was perfect. There was only one time - just after the
middle - when I wished I were in church instead of hiking straight up that
formidable mountainside. To tell you the
truth, I did better than the other two times even though I’m three years
older. My heart was pounding in my ear
and I was somewhat dizzy but I was having the time of my life! It took us six hours. I wasn't even stiff or sore. I was occupied a good part of the way looking
for poison oak since I was in shorts.
Strange how that can consume you.
I
enjoyed it more than hiking to Hidden Peak at Snowbird, which is only a 2-1/2
hour hike. I didn’t feel exhilarated one
step of the way on that hike. I didn’t
feel strong or safe or happy to be alive.
I wonder
if it’s the green stuff. The
trikes? Body Pump just kicking in? Yoga?
A weight loss?
I just
don't know why I had so much energy. I
guess my body was just in balance that day.
For one
thing, we didn't leave at 5:30 PM and no one told me it was only a 3-hour hike.
Even if
Brent spews out erroneous information, we still wished that he and Jan were
with us. They are fun. Earlier this Fall, Brooke took his Band
Council up so he already served his sentence.
Right in the middle when I had my relapse, I was sort of envious of
Elizabeth having three little kids to tend as an excuse. "The Great Salt Lake keeps moving," I tell Amy. We'd catch a view of it, wind up and around through the trees and when we'd see it again, it would be in a totally different place.
The sun set in the south too. DeRay even noticed it when he came to pick us up. "What is the sun doing setting in the south?" We all commented on it. Much further south than from our house. I don't know why.
Since it
was the day we went off daylight savings, it was dark by 5:45 PM and we drove
home in the pitch black. (We left at
10:30-11 AM; conquering the peak at 5 PM.)
You
can't drive right up to the radar towers anymore. You can't even walk there, we found out after
we climbed up over these mounds of dirt and rocks, unstable, terrifying, steep,
slick. We saw the sign on the way down
to meet DeRay at the locked gate: No
trespassing. Permit required. And all these other official government
warnings. "They should have had a
sign on the other side," Amy mused.
I guess they thought the truck loads of dirt and rocks were message
enough. Stubborn as we are, we thought
it was for the cars only.
First
you can't go in the airports if you're not traveling,
Now we
can't walk around the radar towers.
What next?
(This
was shortly after the infamous 9-11 attack.)
Remember
the good old days?
I wasn’t
even stiff or sore the next day. I’m so
proud of my body. It works well.
Contrariwise, after an hour of yoga I am so beat I can hardly function for the rest of the day. I wonder why.
"Look at the snow on Francis Peak."
"Good thing you went when you did," DeRays muses.
A very good thing. 10/31/01
![]() |
| Since we were there, they remodeled. Now one is black and one is white. |
The Francis
Peak Towers serve two different functions. The larger 55-foot dome is
officially named the Salt Lake City Air Route Surveillance Radar and is part of
the Federal Aviation administration system. It tracks the movement of aircraft
between airports. The CARSR-- pronounced car-sir; the Common Air Route
Surveillance Radar--(inside the golf ball) probes the sky, sending out over
20,000 pulses of electromagnetic energy on every 360 degree rotation of its
massive antenna. If there is something in the sky, these pulses will reflect
off of the object and complete their round trip back to the CARSR. Combine this
influx of pulsed energy with identification information aircraft transmit and
the CARSR can paint a detailed image of the skies for about 200 miles in every
direction. The smaller dome to the south is used by the Utah Air National Guard
for microwave communications.
Francis
Peak is named for Esther Francis, a pioneer woman who settled Morgan during
1863. She surveyed the site for Morgan City, and Brigham Young suggested she be
honored by naming a high peak for her.
The Hard
Way: From Baer
Canyon the hike is around a 9 hour hump to the summit. The trail gets pretty overgrown the last half
mile up the side of the mountain, but it is impossible to get lost as Francis
is visible most of the hike.































No comments:
Post a Comment