Further interrogation when I got back in the room, like I hadn't already answered all those question ten times in the last month. She gave me a new binder on radiation treatment.
Finally the doctor comes in.
"I love you,"
I exclaimed spontaneously
after she pulled up a stool,
got right in my face slowly and loudly enunciating every word
like she was talking to an 81-year-old with hearing loss,
"I DON'T THINK YOU NEED RADIATION TREATMENT."
She's the radiation oncologist.
She looks like she's about 16.
Maybe 25; in stylish clothes
with necklaces dangling around her neck.
She gradually toned her voice down
as she explained her reasons.
She thinks I need Tamoxifen or radiation but not both.
I have an appointment with the chemo doctor in a month.
I admire doctors, whatever their age or sex, who don't recommend treatment that is not helpful or needful, even if it's their specialty. Even non-profit hospitals have quotas to meet. She said that she gets incentive compensation for recruits, yet she was decent enough to recommend what is best for me.Last night, I studied Dr. McDougall's newsletter on the dangers and pitfalls of radiation. I didn't even get to say "It's barbaric and brutal" or ask, "Would you recommend this for your mother (or grandmother)?"
I am so happy.
I was not the least bit offended when she said that I'm so old that I may die of something else before I die of cancer. There are some advantages to being old. I definitely did not want radiation.
I love my new best friend.
The Captain of the East Winds DUP
called tonight.
She is fighting breast cancer for the
third time.
Born and reared in Cedar City,
she is a Downwinder victim.
She had a lumpectomy the first time at
age 59,
only missing two days of work
even though she had both chemo and
radiation.
Eight years later,
she had a mastectomy with both chemo
and radiation.
Now, eight years later,
her oncologist found a tumor lodged in
the bone
where her breast had been.
She had chemo to reduce it so they
could operate.
She'll have radiation 5 days a week for
5 weeks.
Then chemo again.
For the first time she went to the
Huntsman Cancer Center
where her niece is a surgeon (her
partner operated).
She went to the same radiation oncologist
I did yesterday, her first day of
treatment.
All three cancers different types.
"A positive attitude is your best
defense,"
she advised me.
Last May while driving up 2nd North,
at our intersection (Country Way)
some kids going to the Prom pulled
out
and hit them, flipping their car
upside-down.
Both she and her husband were wearing
seatbelts,
neither were hurt seriously.
A fireman who lives in the house on the
corner,
helped her get out of the car without
breaking her neck.
After that, she had surgery on her
arthritic shoulder
and was still in therapy
when the cancer was rediscovered.
Yeah. What was I complaining about?
2 comments:
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!
I agree with the best friend status...
Good news!
Post a Comment