Monday, October 9, 2017

Strong Women

My first time with a female surgeon.
I didn’t know it would matter.
It did.  Immensely.
Historically women are nurturers, healers, comforters.
The gentle sex.
I couldn’t imagine her putting me to sleep
Then jabbing a knife into my flesh.
When she called that night to check on me
I asked how she could do it.
“I don’t reveal trade secrets,” she teased.
I am so squeamish, I couldn't even
take the bandage off until total darkness
so I didn't have to look.

Men can be brutal, strong, emotionless.
Brave warriors.
Although I remember I did think it a bit insolent
When they put me to sleep
Then slit my throat
Like a bunch of bandits
When I had thyroid surgery.

In essence, I believe in
Strong, capable women
So what is my problem?
Regina Ellen Rosenthal, MD
Huntsman Clinic 3A Oncology
1950 Circle of Hope
Salt Lake City UT 84112

No comments: