Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Frail Existence



Now that the bouquets are wilting



 It is beginning to dawn on me how very lucky I am.
Ed was right; I am a lucky duck.
I was frantically washing windows,
cleaning freezers and fridges,
shoring up time for treatments every day
or twice a day and/or once a week
for who knows how long.
Preparing for how awful I was going to feel.
I still haven’t been to the chemo oncologist
but the more we read
the more we realize
I will probably be taking a hormone reducing pill
for however long I should live.
Sounds better to me.
With great confidence,
I color my hair.
I wasn’t about to waste coloring or time on it
if it was going to fall out.
Not discounting that it was a traumatic experience.
--tears and fears--
The intense anxiety and dread
has consumed me for two months now.
(Nothing compared to what some are called to bear.
--especially children and young mothers.)
Emotional as well as physical stress.
Even a relatively simple surgery
takes a lot out of you.
On my first day back in the pool yesterday,
I could barely make it across.
Normally I swim ½ mile.
The orchid is still alive our hometeacher gave me
And so am I.
The little things bring more joy.
Every time I pass by or go in the frontroom
the fake fica Amy gave me for my birthday
makes my heart dance.
Tired of killing live ficas
whose leaves drop daily
for nearly a year
until no more are left,
she ordered this one.
I love it.
Hope Springs Eternal


2 comments:

Melissa said...

what a great perspective!

Melissa said...

Carol says: You are a person blessed with a lot of friends.